Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Prague Day 2

Welcome back mates to day two of Prague. My Sophie and I headed off to another tour of Terezin Concentration Camp. I have always been interested about World War II and this tour went into depth about the things happening with people throughout the war. Terezin is an hour train ride from Prague, and this was the former location for 18th century Austrian fortress. On this tour we learned how this city became a refugee center for Czechs fleeing Hitler's ruling, but months later it turned into a concentration camp for Jews and other people who did not fit into Hitler’s idea society. The tour started off with our guide showing us the trains that were used to bring people to this horrible location. We saw the Jewish prayer room, cemeteries of the Jews and troops who died from Russia, and a lot of historical sites. Walking through this town opened my eyes of how much people went through, and walking around I got a spooky feeling. The one thing I did not know that this city is populated with 3,000 people, but I wonder how people live where many killings occurred? To see Terezin in person is something I recommend people check out because you will understand and feel the emotions the people who went through during this horrible moment in life. After spending seven hours on the tour, it was time for us to come back. Once we got back into town we walked around the city and checked out Prague Castle. It is one of the castles that have been added on over the years, and at night the scenery is beautiful. I am still amazed how beautiful Prague is, and I plan on coming back here to explore more about this country. Once we finished walking around we headed back to our hostel to start packing for Venice and Florence. So as you can see tomorrow is going to be a busy day with three cities and two countries in one day. Therefore, it is time for to get some rest and I will see you on the voyage to Venice and Florence. Cheers, Lee IV

No comments:

Post a Comment