Thursday, June 14, 2012

City of Rome

Welcome mates, if you are ever looking for an ancient city filled with numerous of historical ruins then Rome is the place to be. As I arrived in Rome I started to remember a lot of places when I was here two years ago. I was excited to come back because the last time I was here I was super jet lagged and I could barely stay awake, but this time I am refreshed to see things I missed out the last time I was here. On our first day in Rome we walked around the city to see what to do in the next couple of days, and there are a lot of unique places to see. We got the chance to tour the classic Colosseo, and this place is beyond amazing in person. During the tour we had the opportunity to learn the history of Rome from ancient times to present day society. The sites around the city are still reserved, although these ruins are dated back for centuries. After the tour my friend Sophia and I got some food for supper, and we were fortunate to find a great restaurant in Rome. Something about this city and country that every food we had tried everything tasted amazing, and I believe it’s because the food here is freshly made and locally grown. On our second day in Rome we took a walking tour of Vatican City. As a tip you have to make sure your knees and shoulders are cover to enter this place, otherwise you would not be able to enter. I recommend taking a walking tour of the Vatican to avoid long lines and to get a better understanding of the things inside of the Vatican. There are a lot of things to learn inside this unique city itself. After a five hour tour we learned a lot of unique facts and information of the Vatican becoming a country within a country. The most fascinating thing I saw was the artwork in the Sistine Chapel; I could not believe the amazing work Michael Angelo did during his lifetime. Afterwards we checked out this amazing sandwich shop our tour guide recommended, and he was right the sandwiches were the best I tried here and it was only 5 euros. Afterwards we tried out a gelato shop that has been voted number 1 in Rome, and surprising enough the ratings were true. With so many flavors to choose from I had time picking a flavor, so I decided to choose three flavors and it was only 1.50 euro and that was for a small. This place is also known to make their product within their shop, and you get your money worth here. So if you are ever in the Vatican City ask for the best gelato in the city and people will point you in the right direction. Some other places I recommend in Rome are the Pantheon, the shops, and the Trevi Fountain. As a tip when you visit the Trevi Fountain it is a ritual to throw a coin across your left shoulder, and the rumor is that you will find true love or you are most likely to come back to Rome; thus far it is true because this is my second visit to Rome. Overall I must recommend three or four days in Rome to see everything. In my next blog I will be heading off to Milan, Italy and Nice, France, it should be an interesting journey because it is eight hours from Rome to Nice on a train. So catch you soon on the next journey ahead. Cheers, Lee IV

No comments:

Post a Comment