Thursday, May 24, 2012

Dublin Day 1

Hello Mates! After waiting months and days I have finally arrived in Dublin, Ireland to kick off my backpacking trip in Europe. Once we got off the airplane my friend Sophia and I checked into customs and got our passport stamped from Ireland. I was super excited to add another country to my passport. Afterwards we got on a bus to check into our Hostel. Dublin is busy filled with people, cars, and small streets I don't know how people drive in this city, but it works for the people. As we arrived at Generator Hostel we were amazed how nice this place looked. We were checking in but we were too early for check-in, so then we dropped off our bags in a locker room until it was time for us to check-in. As we walked back upstairs we were going to ask the staff where we should go see in the city, then a lady from out of nowhere told us her company does free walking tours of the city. Without any hesitation we quickly hopped on this opportunity because something free is always good. This company is called Sandman's and they offer free tours everyday then at night they run a Pub Crawl in the city. Our tour guide was fantastic, she showed us around the city, and her knowledge about the city and the history of Ireland was remarkable. I learned a lot about the Irish culture that I never knew before. There was not a moment when I got bored because every location in the history had a historical story behind it. The tour lasted five hours and I was filled with knowledge knowing how the Irish community became a country. Afterwards we were offered a meal deal for 10 euros. We could have a full meal with a drink, and I must say the portion sizes are not small. After eating a hearty meal I super full, but I was happy I got my money worth. Sophia and I decided it would be a great idea to walk off our full stomachs. Once our food digested we headed back to our Hostel to get ready for the Pub Crawl. As we entered our room we met two new people who just finished their studies in Copenhagen, and now they are on holiday before returning to the states. They were really friendly people; they even joined us to attend the Pub Crawl event. The Pub Crawl was a great way to meet people and get to know the local attractions and pubs. We had a great time going to five different pubs, and meeting people from all over the world. As the night came to an end we headed back to our Hostel and we shared stories and we received some great tips on what to do in our upcoming cities. After a long day and night without any sleep it was time for bed! In my next blog I will be talking about my adventure to Galway, Ireland and the western cities. See you soon!

Cheers,
Lee IV

No comments:

Post a Comment