Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Week 2 of school

G’day Mates, after a busy weekend of working and playing soccer it was time to get ready for week two of school. In my Food Principles class we went over culinary terms, and talked about how we can use these terms in our career. There were a lot of terms I was unaware of because I haven’t had much experience in the food industry, and some of the terms originated from French or Italian cuisine. Nevertheless I gained knowledge of using these terms to communicate with people, and utilize culinary terms into my writing. After class I had a two hour break before my next class, so I decided to get a haircut at Techniques salon on campus. The cosmetology department offers a hair salon that is open to the public for a reasonable cost. This allows the students to gain more experience cutting and styling hair. I figured since the students don’t get much experience on men’s hair I would assist by letting them cut my hair. The one student was a bit nervous, but I told her no worries it’s the only way you have to get practice so no pressure. During the haircut the instructor kept checking to make sure everything was going well, and to say the least, I was satisfied with my haircut. After my haircut they shampooed and conditioned my hair all for seven dollars which is a great bargain. I told them I would come back and recommend others to come here for haircuts. Click here to see a list of their services: http://www.morainepark.edu/services/techniques-salon/#student-labs

Afterwards I got some lunch in the cafeteria then headed into my Food Styling class. We went over our recipes and ideas of how we wanted to design our plating for the food competition next month on March 12 in Milwaukee. With the students in class we have a lot of fun making jokes and coming up with new ideas to have the opportunity to win and place in the competition. I am super excited and nervous but this will give me more experience and make me a better person by challenging myself. After class I got ready for our first culinary club meeting. In this meeting we introduced new members to the club, and talked about our plans for fundraisers this semester. We have to do with a busy schedule ahead, but that is what we best working under pressure and getting things accomplish. Our main goal is to raise money for our Germany trip which is open for everyone including nonstudents, and our food show in Chicago. Both of these trips will be held in May, if you want more information check out the culinary corner board or contact me for more information. Our meetings for the culinary club will held every Tuesday at 4:30 p.m. in room A111, so don’t hesitate, come join the fun! Well mates after a long day, it is time for me to do some homework. I’ll catch you on the next voyage!

Cheers,
Lee IV

No comments:

Post a Comment