Friday, November 18, 2011

Snow Already?


You can tell winter is near because we had our first official snow fall. This felt like a dream since we had some nice weather previously, then all of sudden snow started to fall and the wind was blowing crazy. This weather didn’t ruin my day because in my baking class we made several tasty pie treats such as lemon tart, blue berries, and cherry pies. These pies were a lot of fun to make. There are so many creative things you can do with pies. I learned there are different techniques of making a pie crust depending on the kind of pie it is. Out of the three pies my partner and I made, my favorite pie was the lemon tart because I love the color and taste of lemons and sugars. For our blueberry pie we made a special design on the crust with pie symbols that represented fall decorations. After my baking class I got ready for my hot sandwich class, and this week we worked on making different types of hamburgers. During this time we used three different types of cooking techniques such as grilling, pan-frying, and steaming. Making hamburgers for class is defiantly not boring because there is so much you can do with burgers. I decided to add some salsas to my burgers to add an extra flavor profile; I made a corn and tomato salsa with jalapenos. I have some pictures above to show how my burgers & pies turned out.
Later in the day my friend Alyssa from school stayed in town because the weather was not the greatest to drive in, so we decided to hang out in town and go shopping. We went to Wal-Mart to get some food and snacks for the night, and basically chilled until our friend Chrissie got off from work. Once she came to my house we decided to go out to Applebee’s because after 10 they have half off appetizers, and it gave us something to do. As we went to the restaurant there were few people there, but the workers didn’t mind so we ordered our food. We just talked about how we are looking forward to our classes next semester because we will be in the same class for ethnic restaurant. I must recommend for anyone who is short on cash, but still wants to go out to eat, go to Applebee’s after 10 to get your money’s worth and some good food. Afterwards we headed home and called it a night; it’s funny how a snowy day can turn out to have a good ending. Well on my next blog I will be talking about my Aussie presentation!

Cheers,
Lee IV

No comments:

Post a Comment